Sunday, February 24, 2008

#15 (Week 6) Web2.0, Library 2.0 and the future of libraries

As I began my readings for this week the realization has come that in the process of learning about Web 2.0 tools I am beginning to re-evaluate my library and what can be changed to make it a resource that will benefit future students. In Away from Icebergs Rick Anderson says “it no longer makes sense to collect information products as if they were hard to get.” That one statement has opened my mind to a redesigning my budget and how I spend the money I do have.

But what must be considered is how to best spend the money in the budget to purchase technology that will enhance the learning experience of our students and not “buy technology for the sake of technology” and make decisions “that redesigns for ease of use, user involvement and easily added/re-configured pieces” as Michael Stephens suggests in Into a new world of librarianship. This week one of my projects will be to look at my space and research possibilities for implementing changes.

Participating in The 23 Things has been a wonderful experience and learning about the many new web tools and reading new ideas about the future of libraries has made me see the need to change my thinking and reach out to the students and teachers in different ways.

But I will always keep trying to find the perfect book for a student to read and enjoy. Attending a Young Adult Workshop each year to keep knowledgeable on new titles will continue to be a priority for me. It is finding the balance that will be important and that includes attending workshops that will broaden my thinking – I am attending the Computers in Libraries conference in Virginia this spring and that should give me more incentive to embrace change in the library media center.

No comments: